"The Name Change Project" from 'Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund' now in Pittsburgh!
The Name Change Project is coming to Pittsburgh in August! Applications for those interested in getting a Name Change for Free Legal Council are now available!
For more information, contact
Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund, Inc.
151 West 19th Street
New York, New York 10011
Garden of Peace Project Name Change Fund
The Garden of Peace Project supports a name change fund for individuals in the community whom cannot afford to pay for a name change on their own. We acknowledge the joblessness, homelessness, and high-risk behaviors in the community due to an inability to present documentation that matches one's physical presentation. We will fund the petition for name change, newspaper advertisements, and fingerprints required to file the petition with the court. We will assist the applicant with paperwork. And, if the applicant would like a buddy to accompany them to court, we will connect the applicant to a court buddy.
For more information, please click : http://www.gardenofpeaceproject.org/name-change-fund.html
Changes to the Name Change Guide
For a fingerprint card:
- Get it for free at a PA State Troopers location: See list of PA State Troopers Locations that take fingerprints (they not related to the Patriot Act).
- Make sure the fingerprint card says "Name Change" on the card; the Officer should know to put it on the card.
To file for a name change:
- Go to the City County Building (not the Court House):
414 Grant StPittsburgh, PA 15219
- Go to the Civil Family Division Court Records, which is on the 1st floor when you enter the building.
- It currently costs $131 to file for a name change; only cash or money order is accepted. Once you submit all your paperwork you will receive a receipt with your case number listed.
- They say get a letter in 2 weeks, but realistically it may take over a month to get a letter back.
- Return to the City County Building, Civil/Family Division Court Records to get your file, and to see with what judge and where to schedule your court hearing. The judge and location will be listed that day on the black board in the office
- After you go up to schedule your hearing, you need to do the advertisement, and judgement search.