Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Name Change Resources

"The Name Change Project" from 'Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund' now in Pittsburgh! 

The Name Change Project is coming to Pittsburgh in August!  Applications for those interested in getting a Name Change for Free Legal Council are now available! 

For more information, contact 

Transgender Legal Defense 
& Education Fund, Inc.

151 West 19th Street
Suite 1103
New York, New York 10011
t: 646.862.9396
f: 914.920.4057

e: clitas@transgenderlegal.org
w: transgenderlegal.org


Changes to the Name Change Guide 

For a fingerprint card: 
- Get it for free at a PA State Troopers location: See list of PA State Troopers Locations that take fingerprints (they not related to the Patriot Act). 
- Make sure the fingerprint card says "Name Change" on the card; the Officer should know to put it on the card.
To file for a name change:
- Go to the City County Building (not the Court House): 
414 Grant St
Pittsburgh, PA  15219
- Go to the Civil Family Division Court Records, which is on the 1st floor when you enter the building.
- It currently costs $131 to file for a name change; only cash or money order is accepted. Once you submit all your paperwork you will receive a receipt with your case number listed.
- They say get a letter in 2 weeks, but realistically it may take over a month to get a letter back. 
- Return to the City County Building, Civil/Family Division Court Records to get your file, and to see with what judge and where to schedule your court hearing. The judge and location will be listed that day on the black board in the office
- After you go up to schedule your hearing, you need to do the advertisement, and judgement search.

No comments:

Post a Comment