Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Adult Resources!

Are you looking for some fun ways to get involved in the Community? 

Transgender Resources in Pittsburgh
Gathered by TransPride Pittsburgh, Last Update 11/2/17

Name Change Resources

Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund
The Name Change Project provides free legal name-change services to transgender people through partnerships with law firms and corporate law departments. In Pittsburgh, lawyers from Reed Smith, PNC and BNYMellon participate in the program. http://www.transgenderlegal.org and find the Name Change Project under Our Work.

Other Legal Resources

Offering help getting an expungement of any criminal record that is not a misdemeanor or felony plea or conviction. An expungement is an essential component of a name change. There is the possibility of a pardon available for those who have misdemeanors and felonies and they should still contact the program if that is impeding their name change.
ACBA Lawyer Referral Service
Will aid in finding a private attorney who will work pro bono for low income individuals who have legal issues that are not covered by the Public Defender's office or Neighborhood Legal Services. For example, a discrimination suit.

Health and Wellness


Gender and Sexual Development Program, Children's Hospital of UPMC
This program serves children and youths (up to age 26) with questions regarding gender and sexual identity development, gender non-conforming behaviors and transgender care. 412-692-6653.

Metro Family Community Center
1789 S. Braddock Ave., Suite 410,
Swissvale, PA ; 412-247-2310.
The Metro Family Practice offers Primary Care and medical support for FTM and MTF (hormones, physicals, etc.) 

Stacy Lane, D.O.
127 Anderson Street - Suite 101
Timber Court Building
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Phone: (412) 322-4151

Steven Wolfe, DO MPH
Forbes Family Medicine,
Monroeville Medical Arts Building,
2550 Mosside Blvd. Suite 500,
Monroeville, PA 15146 412-457-1100;

Mental Health Services

Persad Center, Inc.
5301 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15201
(412) 441-9786

The Center for Relational Change
1789 S. Braddock Ave., Suite 350
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15218
Highlights info row image
(412) 301-5221

Debra Flint
Pittsburgh Pastoral Care

New Castle, PA
Debra is a LGBTQ-friendly therapist and counselor. 

Ann Schelbe
Trans-Friendly Therapist
135 Cumberland Rd Suite 208
Pittsburgh, PA 15237-5447
 (412) 916-1288

James Manzella
Trans-Friendly Therapist
2250 Mart St., Suite 307
Pittsburgh PA, 15203

Andi Pilecki
Trans-Friendly Therapist
Nuin Center
5655 Bryant St., Suite 106
Pittsburgh, PA 15206


N. Michael Fassini, Jr., DDS
355 Fifth Ave.
Suite 820
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Owen Cantor, DMD
Cantor and Pounds Dental Associates
425 First Ave
Third Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Hair Removal:

All About Youth
Babcock Blvd
Pittsburgh PA

Anita Linderemeir, RN, BA, CMT
Monroeville, PA
Offers genital hair removal via electrolysis for transgendered individuals prior to SRS

Lisa Bortz, AEA
Papillion Center
72 N. Main St, Suite 2A
Doylestown, PA 18901
Offers pain free electrolysis with anesthesia.

Vanishing Hair
Jessie Seams
Vandergrif Pa
appointment only
click link above for more info.

Local Organizations

PFLAG Pittsburgh
(Pittsburgh Parents, Family and Friends of Gay and Lesbians) Envisions a world where diversity is celebrated and all people are respected, valued, and affirmed inclusive of their sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
Project SILK
Provides a safe, healthy, supportive community environment for LGBT youth of color to grow, celebrate, and express themselves. With service providers and community partners, they advocate for our youth to determine the meaning and direction for their own lives.

PGH Equality Center
The Gay & Lesbian Community Center of Pittsburgh provides gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) individuals, their families and supporters in Western Pennsylvania with resources and opportunities to promote visibility, understanding, and equality within the LGBT communities and the community at large.

HIV+ Resources

Allies for Health and Wellbeing
To promote health and wellbeing, we provide comprehensive medical care, supportive human services and community-based health education for those living with or at risk of HIV, viral hepatitis and sexually transmitted infections.
Allies for Health + Wellbeing envisions a community where all individuals have access to medical care and supportive services in a welcoming environment free of stigma and discrimination. 
Positive Health Clinic
The Positive Health Clinic (PHC) is a comprehensive HIV primary care clinic providing state-of-the-art care to HIV-positive persons. The PHC is a designated patient-centered medical home by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), meaning that we work hard to maintain engaging and personal patient relationships.

Additional Online Resources

Updated International Standard of Care! 

 "Hormones: A Guide for FTMs," 
Online Support groups:

Laura's Playground
Laura's Playground offers a number of online support groups, including a Teen support group, a parent/partners/friend support group as well as a variety of specific communities for FTM and MTF individuals.

Lynn's Place Forum
Lynn's Place Forum offers a variety of topic groups, from Parenting Transgendered Individuals to finding jobs and transitioning in the workplace.

TransFamily Discussion Lists
The TransFamily Discussion Lists are email based discussion communities. They offer Youth, Family, and Partner lists. 

Additional Online Resources

Additional Online Resources

Updated International Standard of Care! 

 "Hormones: A Guide for FTMs," 

Check back for updates!

Name Change Resources

"The Name Change Project" from 'Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund' now in Pittsburgh! 

The Name Change Project is coming to Pittsburgh in August!  Applications for those interested in getting a Name Change for Free Legal Council are now available! 

For more information, contact 

Transgender Legal Defense 
& Education Fund, Inc.

151 West 19th Street
Suite 1103
New York, New York 10011
t: 646.862.9396
f: 914.920.4057

e: clitas@transgenderlegal.org
w: transgenderlegal.org


Changes to the Name Change Guide 

For a fingerprint card: 
- Get it for free at a PA State Troopers location: See list of PA State Troopers Locations that take fingerprints (they not related to the Patriot Act). 
- Make sure the fingerprint card says "Name Change" on the card; the Officer should know to put it on the card.
To file for a name change:
- Go to the City County Building (not the Court House): 
414 Grant St
Pittsburgh, PA  15219
- Go to the Civil Family Division Court Records, which is on the 1st floor when you enter the building.
- It currently costs $131 to file for a name change; only cash or money order is accepted. Once you submit all your paperwork you will receive a receipt with your case number listed.
- They say get a letter in 2 weeks, but realistically it may take over a month to get a letter back. 
- Return to the City County Building, Civil/Family Division Court Records to get your file, and to see with what judge and where to schedule your court hearing. The judge and location will be listed that day on the black board in the office
- After you go up to schedule your hearing, you need to do the advertisement, and judgement search.